Sunday, August 17, 2014

Coming Of Age: Rough Draft

     My stomach twisted and turned all night. It felt like something wasn't right. I woke up like it was natural for me to be up at 4 in the morning. I heard talking in the hallway and I instantly knew something wasn't right. My dad told me, "We're going to the hospital, grandma called. Something happened with grandpa." My heart dropped, thinking of the worst. Pulling myself together, I got into the car hoping for the best.
     We finally arrived at Kuakini Hospital. This place had become so familiar over the past weeks. I knew exactly where I needed to go. The elevator ride felt endless. I just wanted to get to him and prove that nothing was wrong. I stepped out of the elevator and saw my grandma sitting down, crying. He was gone. They told me "he's in a better place where he isn't suffering". This comforted me, but that fact he was gone still killed me. I couldn't cry because I felt like I wasn't allowed too. I felt the need to be the strong one to comfort everyone else. The only thing that was on my mind was making sure that everyone else was okay even if I wasn't.
     A week later, my uncle who was planning my grandpa's funeral, asked me if I wanted to say anything at the funeral. Thinking that I had to, I accepted. That night I sat my desk, pencil and paper ready, thinking of my grandpa. He was definitely one of my heroes. He always smiled, cheered me up, and just made me happy. I poured my heart onto paper. Thinking about all my memories with him  made me so happy, but I felt a tear roll down my check. I smiled knowing that it was okay to miss him because I still had a part of him with me.
     A month or so after, we had his funeral. Standing there at the podium, my main goal was to cheer to everybody up. I talked about how my grandpa was funny and always smiling. I looked to my family to see smiles on their faces. I don't think I have ever felt so good in my entire life. After everything was said and done, my family came back to our house. We talked all night about my grandpa. I smiled and laughed all night long with the people I love while hearing about my grandpa and his long, happy life.
    During this whole process, I learned so much. Saying goodbye to one of the most important people in my life was one of the hardest things to do, but it made me stronger. I knew that losing him meant a new chapter in my life. I didn't know what was going happen next but I knew that my grandpa would want for me to be happy. My grandpa was a strong, happy man, and now it was my turn to follow in his footsteps. He's my motivation to be the best person I can be everyday. With him in my heart, I'm ready for what comes next.

3 comments:

  1. I liked you're beginning but I feel like you should had added more information and what was going on with you're grandpa and family throughout the story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maddie!!
    You essay did an amazing job at showing your emotions at the time and how you gradually " became of age". I guess you could talk more about your grandpa and how his passing impacted you in such an emotional way. Also about your relatives and how you helped them overcome this event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AS(2+) YOU NEED TO PROVIDE EXAMPLES AS TO WHY YOU WERE SO CLOSE TO YOUR GRANDPA. YOU SPENT THE ENTIRE ESSAY TALKING ABOUT HIS PASSING BUT BARELY ABOUT THE CONNECTION YOU GUYS SHARED. WHY WAS IT A NEW CHAPTER? HOW WERE YOU BEFORE WITH HIM? IF HE IS YOUR MOTIVATION YOU SHOULD GIVE AN EXAMPLE OR STORY ON HOW HE GOT TO BE THAT ROLE MODEL FOR YOU. THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE PERSONAL REFLECTION, WHAT KIND OF PERSON WERE YOU WHEN HE WAS ALIVE AND NOW HOW ARE YOU? YOU NEED TO SHOW YOUR ACTUAL COMING OF AGE.

    ReplyDelete